Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Mini-ITX Boards Sale, Fanless BareBones Mini-ITX, Bootable 1G DSL USBs, 533MHz Fanless PC <-- SALE $200 each!
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. DSL Market , Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic
Pages: (6) </ [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >/

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Does DSL write *anything* to the hdd?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
304 Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 03 2007,08:17 QUOTE

Hi. I downloaded DSL and it doesn't work. How do I fix this? Thnks.

Just kidding! But I am an absolute newb with dsl and linux in general.

I done a rough search, but I don't expect anyone to have asked what I will:

I need a machine that is absolutely clean if the feds break my door down and seize my computer. I need a system that I can access the net with, do my business and then shut it off and have no stored records. So far DSL seems to be perfect.

But does DSL write any temporary stuff to HDD? ie: I'm thinking about any kind of swap file (yeah I'm a winblows kid).

I wont be executing any commands to store settings or downloaded packages to the HDD etc.

From my limited exposure to linux and DSL, I assume the answer is that nothing is written to the HDD as it is never mounted. But it's worth my while to check.

(also, the HDD is formatted with NTFS, though I think from memory I have a Fat32 partition as welll)

For those of you who may have some moral dilemma helping me out with the knowledge that I'm obviously doing something illegal, I'm purchasing steroids which are for my own personal use. I wont be selling crack cocaine to school kids or anything morally unacceptable like that.
Profile PM 
lucky13 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 03 2007,12:44 QUOTE

I need a machine that is absolutely clean if the feds break my door down and seize my computer. I need a system that I can access the net with, do my business and then shut it off and have no stored records. So far DSL seems to be perfect.

You confuse your needs with your wants. You don't need steroids, you want them and you want to get away with criminal behavior because of your own vanity.

Your ISP will maintain records showing your internet usage history (there are at least two records of your activities: your ISP's servers and your IP on the sites you visit). There are already laws in place in Europe requiring maintenance of such records for certain periods of time. The US DoJ is pushing ISPs to voluntarily retain data longer. Congress has also shown a willingness to mandate such things.

http://news.com.com/Your+ISP+as+Net+watchdog/2100-1028_3-5748649.html

I won't do anything that will help you engage in illegal activity, and that includes acquiring steroids without prescription. Since you mentioned the moral acceptability aspect, to assist you in that pursuit would dirty my hands with the many risks associated with steroid use. I strongly discourage anyone else from offering you advice here.

--------------
"It felt kind of like having a pitbull terrier on my rear end."
-- meo (copyright(c)2008, all rights reserved)
Profile PM WEB 
curaga Offline

Posted: May 03 2007,14:53 QUOTE

It's his choice.. Who are we to limit that?

No it won't write a thing...

--------------
There's no such thing as life. Those mean little jocks invented it ;)
-
Windows is not a virus. A virus does something!
Profile PM 
lucky13 Offline

Posted: May 03 2007,15:37 QUOTE

It's his choice..

I'll let the developers address whether or not they want DSL to be touted in certain circles as being "criminal-friendly." His choice to commit criminal activities doesn't need the aiding and abetting of the DSL community, and I hold deep contempt for people who would ask others to give advice so they can willfully engage in criminal activities and attempt to avoid prosecution. Needless to say, I likewise don't have respect for people who conpire with or otherwise help others break laws.

It's bad enough he's willing to play chemist with his own body and willing to break the law to do it. He shouldn't drag anyone else into his plans the way he did. Hopefully he's more competent with pharmaceuticals than he is with computers.

Who are we to limit that?

Your moral flexibility may allow you to look the other way when people harm themselves and others, or even help them to do it. No good can come from that. And what choice will you condone or enable next, curaga? Terrorism? Just how flexible is your sense of ethics?

Let people who are bent to harm themselves or others find their own way.

--------------
"It felt kind of like having a pitbull terrier on my rear end."
-- meo (copyright(c)2008, all rights reserved)
Profile PM WEB 
mikshaw Offline

Posted: May 03 2007,15:45 QUOTE

My personal belief is that "illegal" activity is not necessarily "wrong" activity. Each thing should be weighed against your own morals (hoping that you have morals) rather than on what you are told is allowed/disallowed.
Of course, one should also consider if doing something illegal, but which you believe is morally acceptible (smoking pot on the White House roof, for example), is actually worth the punishment should you get caught. Just because you see nothing wrong with it doesn't necessarily mean you should tease a dragon.
*Personal* drug use of any kind is something i do not consider wrong, on the condition that the use does not hurt others (indignation and disappoinment do not fall under the category of "hurt", although missing work and family reunions does).

The NTFS issue may be a problem for you. DSL can only read NTFS partitions. You will not be able to edit anything on that partition.

--------------
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html
Profile PM WEB 
28 replies since May 03 2007,08:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) </ [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >/
reply to topic new topic new poll
Quick Reply: Does DSL write *anything* to the hdd?

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code