Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Mini-ITX Boards Sale, Fanless BareBones Mini-ITX, Bootable 1G DSL USBs, 533MHz Fanless PC <-- SALE $200 each!
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. DSL Market , Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic
Pages: (2) </ [1] 2 >/

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: installing programs in dsl< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
sclem Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 19 2005,06:23 QUOTE

Thanks for the last solution to my "getting_started.html" challenge.  Now to bigger and better things!

I am struggling with simple installs.  For instance, I want to install Ted in dsl.  I have read how to do it, however the actual command line action completely baffles me.  Can anyone let me know the generic path from install to execute when using install.sh and installing from tar.gz archives?  Also, is compiling what usually happens when an application is being interfaced with an O/S kernel (even in Windows)?  

Still a newbie.  I know I'll get it once I've successfully installed a few things.  :-)
Right now, I don't even understand the basics for Linux installs.

Thanks for any assistance.
Profile PM 
mikshaw Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2005,06:34 QUOTE

Installing programs in DSL depends mostly on how you are using DSL.

If you are running a liveCD or poorman's install, then installing from source (compiling) is probably more work than it's worth.  You'll be better off using DSL extensions (check the mydsl repository) and apt.

If you have a "normal" harddrive install and want to install from tar.gz source packages, you'll want to add gnu-utils and gcc and make, which are available as DSL extensions.  You'll also find you need to install various support files (libs and headers) in order to compile most programs...the README and INSTALL files included in the source packages usually tell you what additional files you need for a specific program.

--------------
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html
Profile PM WEB 
sclem Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2005,16:41 QUOTE

Thanks mikshaw.  You've helped me understand more of the process.  That'll get me started.  I know the learning curve always takes more time out of the gate.  Once I've done a couple of these, it'll come easy.  Got my sleeves rolled up!

I'm going to read the forums to get a better grip on compiling the dsl extentions.
I've setup a standard hardware installation of dsl on an upgraded Acer Pentium 200 with 147 MB ram, and a 1.5gig hdd.  DSL is tailor made for this setup.  I'm pretty satisfied with it and just want to tweak it out a little.

Thanks again for your assistance.
Profile PM 
linux_gal Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2005,20:08 QUOTE

OK. I got the latest and greatest DSL. I am very impressed.
Now I installed it on an 800 MB hard drive partition, Pent II, 128Mb, and
tried getting GET-IT for the GIMP.  Something I mess with from time to time.
I came down, It's there, I verified it. I rebooted, etc, etc. I just can't seem to
get it to fly. I looked around for doc, etc, etc. It seems like I just click and go.
Did I miss something here?
Profile PM 
mikshaw Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2005,20:53 QUOTE

it would depend greatly on what sort of installation you have.  For instance, if you have a poorman's install everything you add to it will need to be backed up and restored each time you boot, or it will go poof into nowhere.

Also, keep in mind that you don't need to reboot Linux after installing software.  The only exception i know is if you change your kernel.  Otherwise it's just a waste of time and effort.

--------------
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html
Profile PM WEB 
5 replies since Feb. 19 2005,06:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) </ [1] 2 >/
reply to topic new topic new poll
Quick Reply: installing programs in dsl

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code