Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Mini-ITX Boards Sale, Fanless BareBones Mini-ITX, Bootable 1G DSL USBs, 533MHz Fanless PC <-- SALE $200 each!
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. DSL Market , Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic
Pages: (6) </ [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >/

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: HOWTO: Lexar 128MB USB Drive Running DSL, -with WinXP and Free Tools< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
kronus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 01 2005,09:11 QUOTE

How I got DSL working on my notebook (after a day of playing around with this):

Using: Lexar USB Jumpdrive 128 MB (purple color), WIN XP, WinImage, Daemon Tools

1) Format drive by right clicking on it and using the built in windows formatter. Select FAT.

2) Use winimage to write the bootusb x.x.x.img file
    -> - Opening the .img file in WinImage
        - Go to 'Disk' and select 'Use Removable Disk E:' ('E:' =  USB Key)
        - Then go to 'Disk' and 'Write Disk'

3) Exit winimage.

4) Mount the dsl- x.x.x.iso with daemon tools(at least thats what i used) You should see like 4 or 5 files(boot folder, knoppix folder, an .html file, etc....)

5) Go to My Computer and explore to your usb drive.

6) You should now have 2 windows open. One with the contents of your usb drive. A second with the contents of the .iso you just mounted with daemon tools.

7) Drag ALL 4 or 5 files(sorry i can't remember which it was) to the usb drive from the daemon tools mounted window. There should be NO asking if you want to overwrite files because none are duplicates.

8) Restart your computer and choose to boot from usb. On my laptop, I press ESC at the bios memcheck screen(the mostly black one you see when you first start your computer). This gives me a window with 3 boot options(at least for me)
  1) Lexar Media USB
  2) My hard drive
  3) My cd-rom

9) I select the Lexar option and see a black screen saying "syslinux 2.04 blah blah blah....."

10) Then I see a screen that says 'press enter to begin" so i hit enter and Walla! A bunch of pretty green, purple, and blue text springs forth, as well as a cute penguin :laugh:
Profile PM 
ph00dz Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2005,08:00 QUOTE

worked perfectly. best tutorial yet, i think...
Profile PM 
zx9506 Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2005,07:21 QUOTE

I use "bootusb-0.8.img" and "dsl-0.9.2.iso" flow the kronus`s advise,but I always get this message "Accessing DSL Liniux at /dev/sda1... cat No File /KNOPPIX/ect/ld.so.cache".I chage the name "knoppix" file  to low case also WHY?:D
Profile PM 
bwalla
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 13 2005,04:23 QUOTE

Has anyone had any luck booting from a Lexmark JumpDrive 512MB?? I have tried everything you can think of to make sure that DSL is loaded correctly, but everytime I try to boot, it gets to syslinux then says "Boot Failed" in the same line. Has anyone succesfully booted from a jumpdrive 512mb???
ke4nt1 Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2005,05:20 QUOTE

what is your output of the command ' cfdisk /dev/sda '    ??

Are you booting up from floppy, or bios ??
Do you have options for USBkeyboard enabled and boot set to USB-ZIP ??
Other formattings require the boot to be set to USB-HDD..

ke4nt
Profile PM 
26 replies since Jan. 01 2005,09:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) </ [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >/
reply to topic new topic new poll
Quick Reply: HOWTO: Lexar 128MB USB Drive Running DSL

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code