Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Mini-ITX Boards Sale, Fanless BareBones Mini-ITX, Bootable 1G DSL USBs, 533MHz Fanless PC <-- SALE $200 each!
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. DSL Market , Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic
Pages: (12) </ [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >/

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

new topic new poll
Topic: DSL v4.4RC1< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
roberts Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 19 2008,17:45 QUOTE

DSL v4.4RC1 is now available in the Release Candidate section.

* New Lua/Fltk refactored for enhanced performance.
* New Fltk library now available for C/C++ programs.
* Update to rsync to v3.0.2
* Restored Firefox default search engines.
* New low resource background & theme.
* New default system font, smoothansi.
* New .luafltkrc for Lua/Fltk theme and defaults.
* Updated dmix.
* Updated man script, new -o -b options and site.
* Fixed permissions on fusermount.
* Updated all Lua & Lua/FLtk scripts to the new Lua/Fltk system.

Files that have changed that are likely in your backup.
.Xdefaults
.jwm.inc
.jwmrc-theme
.dfminfo
.fluxbox.inc
Profile PM WEB 
lucky13 Offline

Posted: May 19 2008,18:39 QUOTE

First, thanks to John for adding back the search engines. Second, thanks to Florian (and Robert and mikshaw and anyone else deserving of credit) for speeding things back up with lua. Perfect timing for testing my gdb+strace extension.

If smoothansi is the default font, perhaps we can set that in .torsmorc as well. I have a modified gtkrc that more closely matches this theme (also using smoothansi) if you're interested, Robert. And if you want to carry smoothansi across the board, I can paste/send my userChrome.css for firefox.

Edit: Just looked in /opt/jwmThemes and it still has the "blackandblue (cyan)" theme from 4.2 (iirc).

--------------
"It felt kind of like having a pitbull terrier on my rear end."
-- meo (copyright(c)2008, all rights reserved)
Profile PM WEB 
chaostic Offline

Posted: May 19 2008,23:06 QUOTE

Quote (roberts @ May 19 2008,13:45)
DSL v4.4RC1 is now available in the Release Candidate section.

* Updated man script, new -o -b options and site.

:D
Look at me, contributing to dsl
:laugh:
Profile PM 
meo Offline

Posted: May 20 2008,00:07 QUOTE

Hi Robert!

Very nice, was my first impression when I started DSL 4,4RC1. It looks very clean and nice with the new background and style. So you can be proud of your good work and all others who have contributed too. There is though some things I'd like to mention. The new font looks good but is a bit hard to read when you doesn't have a very good eye-sight. Another thing that i very noticeably is a very long pause during bootup after either declaring the version (if you boot with the legacy option) or registering unionfs. This I discovered after adding my extensions (a pretty good bunch after all these years) and having done a remaster that have substantially enlarged the KNOPPIX file. The 3.xx series didn't make a pause bigger than a couple of seconds under the same conditions but the pause has increased much with the 4.xx series. Approximately the pause with this RC was more than 40 seconds long and that seems like an eternity if you are waiting. Furthermore it takes considerable much longer time to load the extensions. I have no explanation for this behaviour. I just have made a comparison between those two release series. I'm just curious if you might have an explanation. This behaviour doesn't really bother me because I usually have the computer on for days with everything loaded and ready to go. But it would be nice to know. It seems to be a really promising release and I'm eagerly awaiting the 5.xx series. Thanks again for all the work spent to make this release possible.

Have fun developing DSL and using it,
meo

--------------
"Live and let live"   Treat others the way you want to be treated because that's what you should expect from them.

"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire
Profile PM 
roberts Offline

Posted: May 20 2008,03:20 QUOTE

Quote (lucky13 @ May 19 2008,15:39)
First, thanks to John for adding back the search engines. Second, thanks to Florian (and Robert and mikshaw and anyone else deserving of credit) for speeding things back up with lua. Perfect timing for testing my gdb+strace extension.

If smoothansi is the default font, perhaps we can set that in .torsmorc as well. I have a modified gtkrc that more closely matches this theme (also using smoothansi) if you're interested, Robert. And if you want to carry smoothansi across the board, I can paste/send my userChrome.css for firefox.

Edit: Just looked in /opt/jwmThemes and it still has the "blackandblue (cyan)" theme from 4.2 (iirc).

We can all  thank florian for the new open lua fltk. His effort brought back Lua/Fltk to a useable state. There is no comparision between DSL v4.3 and v4.4 with regard to all Lua and Lua/Fltk scripts.

Thanks, Lucky13, for the new background and theme. You are correct that I forgot to update the /opt/jwmThemes/default.thm
As that file is also likely in your backup, one can easily copy /etc/skel/.jwmrc-theme to /opt/jwmThemes/default.thm

Smoothansi is a new, additional, font. No other fonts were cut or removed. As release candidates are a time for me to try new things, ;et's see how well it is received before going further. It would be nice to have a single script to change the default font for all areas, .torsmo, firefox, dfm, fluxbox, jwm, .Xdefaults. ATM, I am too busy with trying to make progress on tiny core.
Profile PM WEB 
55 replies since May 19 2008,17:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) </ [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >/
new topic new poll
Quick Reply: DSL v4.4RC1

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code