Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Mini-ITX Boards Sale, Fanless BareBones Mini-ITX, Bootable 1G DSL USBs, 533MHz Fanless PC <-- SALE $200 each!
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. DSL Market , Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: DSL on "Atticware", Old laptops revived with DSL< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dougz Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 04 2006,16:04 QUOTE

Caitlyn M. Martin has two short  oreillynet.com articles plus a web page on reviving "atticware" laptops with small distros, including DSL.

First article
Second article
DSL on Mitsubishi Amity CN
Profile PM 
roberts Offline

Posted: July 04 2006,17:50 QUOTE

Thanks for sharing. It has made my day!
Nice to see articles from someone who "gets it".
Even the new "unc" type extensions are mentioned.
Validates my goals and objectives.
Profile PM WEB 
whiteweasel Offline

Posted: July 05 2006,01:23 QUOTE

Doug, thanks for the links and the nice plug.  I've posted a link in tips and tricks as well before I saw this one.

Roberts:  I'm glad you're pleased.  I don't post in the forums often but I do use DSL on several machines and I am playing with some extension ideas.  .unc and .uci extensions make all the difference in the world on memory starved machines.

I do still have a couple of quibbles (OK, they're bugs) that I'll post in the appropriate forum.  Please don't take them personally.  You guys are doing a fantastic job with DSL and DSL-N.
Profile PM 
whiteweasel Offline

Posted: July 05 2006,01:29 QUOTE

BTW, I did update the website with the Amity CN instructions today.  I added a paragraph for additional boot options.  So far I've specifically talked about ssh and unionfs.

I also toned down the language in a couple of places.  I no longer refer to the frugall install script as "stupid".  My apologies on that one.  I do think some code could be added or at least an additional source option added to distinguish between install from an actual live CD (option "l") and a Knoppix poorman's install so that it can find (or prompt for the location of) the linux24 and minirt.gz files rather than just tossing out errors and leaving the system in an unbootable state.

Geek I am.  Diplomat I am not.  :(
Profile PM 
3 replies since July 04 2006,16:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Quick Reply: DSL on "Atticware"

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code