Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Mini-ITX Boards Sale, Fanless BareBones Mini-ITX, Bootable 1G DSL USBs, 533MHz Fanless PC <-- SALE $200 each!
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. DSL Market , Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Localization on other languages, A questions about localization< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
JHan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 29 2008,16:05 QUOTE

How to localizate DSL into russian. I meen console, XWindow, Fonts for X programs? Write here your solution and help me. I like dsl very much. But in Ukraine students like his language (russian, ukraine) and want to see all text in russian. How can I do it?
Profile PM 
curaga Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2008,16:13 QUOTE

The first thing would be to get the language data for your locale (the one in /usr/share/locale) and a file called locale-archive (usually in /usr/lib/locale) from Knoppix 3.4. These would enable the libraries and core programs that have a translation to output in your language. This would enable localized time format too.
After that, add
export LANG=ru_RU.ISO-8859-9
to both /etc/bashrc and /etc/profile, changing it to be appropriate (I have no idea of the russian character set). This makes your language the default.

The default font dirs are in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11, so add your fonts there, and they will be found.

For programs in DSL that don't have translations, you could first check if there is one, and if there is, compile the translation and copy it to /usr/share/locale/ru. If not, you would need to translate yourself.
For the scripts, translating yourself is the only option.

--------------
There's no such thing as life. Those mean little jocks invented it ;)
-
Windows is not a virus. A virus does something!
Profile PM 
fioddor Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2008,22:15 QUOTE

And don't forget documentation!

A translation of the wiki into russian would be very welcome! :)
Profile PM WEB 
2 replies since Jan. 29 2008,16:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Quick Reply: Localization on other languages

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code