Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Mini-ITX Boards Sale, Fanless BareBones Mini-ITX, Bootable 1G DSL USBs, 533MHz Fanless PC <-- SALE $200 each!
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. DSL Market , Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic
Pages: (2) </ [1] 2 >/

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Damn Vulnerable Linux< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Selim Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 08 2006,13:44 QUOTE

I've just found that:
http://www.damnvulnerablelinux.org/

I don't know if it's a good or a bad news for DSL...
Profile PM 
John Offline

Group: Super Administrators
Posted: Nov. 10 2006,21:21 QUOTE

I don't think it is bad news.  They built a distribution that is based on DSL, but modified it and added applications which make it exceptionally vulnerable.  I personally am looking forward to learning something from it.
Profile PM 
shane Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2006,17:56 QUOTE

i personally think that because there are so many distros (to much choice) that Uncle Bill will always have the upper hand, this is just another nail in the open source coffin....
Profile PM 
mikshaw Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2006,20:01 QUOTE

And I personally think you are a misguided individual =o)

There is no such thing as "too much choice".  Uncle Bill has the upper hand because his business has made, and continues to make, its mark through bullying, stealing, lying, cheating, and a whole bunch of other nasty verbs that crush competition and force users into a locked-in path.
Choice is a bad thing only if you are accustomed to being told what you need, and don't have the patience or desire to do any thinking for yourself.  There is no open source coffin, and no nail. Open source is becoming more widespread and more widely accepted with each new day (look through distrowatch news or groklaw sometime for examples of its continuing growth).

As I see it, the only place where too much choice might be truly getting in the way is in the area of standards, such as file formats. The more competing "standards" you have, the less they become standards and basically become the equivalent of proprietary formats.  At the same time, however, I am an advocate of true freedom and feel that standards should not force anyone into a particular path. If the user (or developer) does not want to follow widely-accepted standards, that person should have the rght to go his own way.

--------------
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html
Profile PM WEB 
shane Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2006,14:53 QUOTE

I actually agree with you mikshaw, i wanted to see who had the balls to make a statement against mine, you are totally right. Open source is growing and with this  new windows Vista microsoft are starting to lag, if you read the eula you will see that Uncle Bill is trying to control our rights... This is why more and more people are turning to linux. Im sure you could probably find a linux coffin for sale on ebay though..... "LOL". 5p34k 1337?
Profile PM 
5 replies since Nov. 08 2006,13:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) </ [1] 2 >/
reply to topic new topic new poll
Quick Reply: Damn Vulnerable Linux

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code