Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Mini-ITX Boards Sale, Fanless BareBones Mini-ITX, Bootable 1G DSL USBs, 533MHz Fanless PC <-- SALE $200 each!
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. DSL Market , Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Save as pdf missing from gimp, Is there a way to add this?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Juanito Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 27 2008,04:53 QUOTE

I just noticed the ability to save a file as pdf is missing from gimp-1.2 (and I suppose gimp-2.4).

You can save a file as postscript and then do something like "ps2pdf myfile.ps myfile.pdf" or I guess you can use imagemagik or similar to convert the file, but that's not the same, right?

Does anybody know of a way to add this capability by use of a plug-in or similar? It would be a useful addition to the gimp mydsl extension.
Profile PM 
lucky13 Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008,12:35 QUOTE

I think you can just set an environmental variable (GS_PROG?) to ghostscript. I need to look. It's been a while since I've had to do that.

Okay, I just looked and I think that's it. Question is Windows-related but I think it's the same for Linux.
http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/topic.php?t=26379&start=1

--------------
"It felt kind of like having a pitbull terrier on my rear end."
-- meo (copyright(c)2008, all rights reserved)
Profile PM WEB 
Juanito Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008,14:26 QUOTE

Thanks - I had a look at the link and tried GS_PATH, but it looks more like that is to open pdf files in gimp. I'm looking to scan something into gimp and then save it as a pdf file.

There are some extensions greyed out in the file/save as dialogue, but pdf isn't one of them...
Profile PM 
lucky13 Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008,14:58 QUOTE

Hmmm, I just did a little more looking and I guess gimp doesn't save pdf -- I thought it did. The wikipedia entry, fwiw, says gimp can open pdf but not save or edit pdf. I found another site that suggested an "inelegant" way of doing it with gimp but it uses krita.

Open Office draw will save to pdf, and as you noted so will imagemagick.

Edit: there's also tiff2pdf (in libtiff-tools) if you want a little better quality.

--------------
"It felt kind of like having a pitbull terrier on my rear end."
-- meo (copyright(c)2008, all rights reserved)
Profile PM WEB 
3 replies since Mar. 27 2008,04:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Quick Reply: Save as pdf missing from gimp

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code