Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Mini-ITX Boards Sale, Fanless BareBones Mini-ITX, Bootable 1G DSL USBs, 533MHz Fanless PC <-- SALE $200 each!
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. DSL Market , Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic
Pages: (9) </ 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >/

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Note to extension builders< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Juanito Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 26 2007,11:04 QUOTE

If I've understood this correctly, extension builders should aim (if possible) to put everything in /opt/myextension.

In the case of a dsl extension, does it still make sense to put the desktop icon and link in user.tar.gz in /opt/myextension as per a unc extension?
Profile PM 
mikshaw Offline

Posted: April 26 2007,16:21 QUOTE

If you're still talking about uci, yes. The user.tar.gz file is useable in all mydsl extensions.  It is essentially a *.tar.gz type of mydsl package within the main package, and contains any files needed to be installed in /home/dsl or /opt/something_other_than_myextension (an icon, for example). As with other *.tar.gz mydsl packages, user.tar.gz should not write to parts of the system that are not initially in /ramdisk

--------------
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html
Profile PM WEB 
chaostic Offline

Posted: May 04 2007,02:58 QUOTE

What if its a single file binary? Should I still put in in /opt and a symlink in /opt/bin or can I just put the binary in /opt/bin?
Profile PM 
mikshaw Offline

Posted: May 04 2007,05:13 QUOTE

That would not be possible with uci packages, since they are mounted into /opt/package_name. A tar.gz package can do that, but I couldn't say whether or not it's an "impolite" way to install (perhaps not keeping a consistent package structure could be seen by some people as impolite?). I think it's something worth getting more feedback about. The only drawback I can see, though, is the user having a slightly tougher time removing the application if it's not found in the standard /opt/mypackage directory.

As far as I can tell, a single-file application should be able to be placed *anywhere* within the filesystem and still work, as long as the user has permission to enter that directory.

--------------
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html
Profile PM WEB 
MakodFilu Offline

Posted: May 04 2007,13:28 QUOTE

I'll try to fix nasm then. Only two binarys, but not placed under /nasm/ and symlinked as those should.
Profile PM WEB 
40 replies since Dec. 30 2006,21:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) </ 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >/
reply to topic new topic new poll
Quick Reply: Note to extension builders

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code