Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Mini-ITX Boards Sale, Fanless BareBones Mini-ITX, Bootable 1G DSL USBs, 533MHz Fanless PC <-- SALE $200 each!
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. DSL Market , Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic
Pages: (2) </ [1] 2 >/

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Installing DSL on an old laptop< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
kriukov Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 18 2006,21:40 QUOTE

There is an old laptop -- Compaq with a 75 MHz CPU and 16M of RAM. I was thinking about the most suitable Linux distro for it and found DSL. I downloaded the ISO image (syslinux) and tried it on a virtual machine (booted from a CD). However, I have not yet figured out the procedure of installing it on a hard drive. The laptop has NO CD-ROM (only a floppy disk drive!) and has a hard drive of 800 M with Windows 95. On the virtual machine I tried creating a 50M FAT32 partition and putting the KNOPPIX file from the ISO, and booted from the floppy boot.img. It ended up saying there were no partitions to mount and left me in a very tiny shell with a few commands available. How do I go about handling the hard drive installation? Assume I want to give the whole 800M drive to DSL, but some preparation, if needed, may be done from within Windows.
Profile PM 
JBHoren Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2006,20:12 QUOTE

Indeed.  I just (this very morning) installed DSL-3.0.1 on my old Compaq Elite LTE 4/75cx, with 16MB RAM and an 810MB hard drive.  Here's how I did it.

1.  Download a copy of Tom's Root Boot (from http://www.toms.net/rb/) and follow the instructions to create a bootable 3.5" floppy diskette, which will provide you with a runtime version of GNU/Linux which resides in a RAMdisk.  NOTE1: if this is the ONLY computer you have, then download the version for MSDOS, and create the GNU/Linux floppy from it.  NOTE2: make sure to move that little sliding tab, to make the diskette read-only.  NOTE3: make sure that your wired/wireless network card is supported by this runtime GNU/Linux; read the FAQ carefully and check!

2.  Decide if you REALLY WANT to give the entire 810MB drive to DSL.  If you do, then (re)boot the laptop from the tomsrtbt floppy diskette -- make sure that your network card is fully-seated in the PCMCIA slot before you (re)boot!

3.  When the laptop has finished booting into GNU/Linux, eject the diskette and log-in as root.

4.  You need to repartition the hard drive.  At the prompt, run "fdisk /dev/hda" -- I suggest you divide it into three partitions: swap, "target", and "source".  I created the first partition (/dev/hda1) as 100MB and changed the type to 82 (Linux swap); the second partition (/dev/hda2) as 300MB (default type is 83 (Linux); and the third partition (/dev/hda3) as the remainder of the drive (approximately 400MB).

5.  Create Linux filesystems on the second and third partitions.  At the prompt, run "mke2fs /dev/hda2"; when that has finished, run "mke2fs /dev/hda3".  Create a swap "filesystem" on the first partition.  At the prompt, run "mkswap /dev/hda1".

6.  Create temporary mount points for these partitions.  Change directory to /etc/mnt.  At the prompt, run "mkdir hda2 hda3 iso".

7.  Verify your network connectivity.  I am assuming that you have a DSL modem, and that your wired network card is directly connected to it.  Check the Ethernet configuration, by running "ifconfig eth0" -- does it show an IP address in the 192.168.x.x family (as most will)?  Check the routing, by running "route -n" -- does it show your modem's internal IP address as the default gateway (UG)?

Assuming that your DSL modem has an IP address of 192.168.1.254:

If the network card's IP address shows 1.1.1.1, give it a temporary static IP.  At the prompt, run "ifconfig eth0 down", then run "ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 up", then run "ifconfig eth0" and check the results.

Set the default route.  At the prompt, run "route add default gw 192.168.1.254".  Check the results, by running "route -n" -- you should see two lines, of which the bottom one will have "UG" in the Flags column.

Edit /etc/resolv.conf so that the "nameserver" line reads "nameserver 192.168.1.254"

Verify your network connectivity; see if you can ping your DSL modem.  If you can, see if you can ping www.horen.org.il (that's my website).  If you have full network connectivity, go to the next step; if not, get help.

8.  Mount the "target" partition.  At the prompt, run "mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2".  Verify that it is present; at the prompt, run "df" -- you should see an entry for it.

9.  Change directory to /mnt/hda2.  Download the DSL iso image and the bootfloppy image.  NOTE: I find that the Ibiblio site is nearly impossible to pull from, so I use the mirror in Ireland!

At the prompt, run "wget ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors....o" -- it's going to take a long time, so brew and drink some coffee, or whatever.  Once the DSL iso image is downloaded, pull over the bootfloppy image.  At the prompt, run "wget ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors....g" (which should take only a minute or so).

10.  Create the DSL bootfloppy diskette.  Put a 3.5" diskette into the floppy drive and format it.  At the prompt, run "fdformat /dev/fd0".  Once the diskette is formatted, copy the bootfloppy image onto the diskette.  At the prompt, run "dd if=bootfloppy.img of=/dev/fd0"  When the bootfloppy has been created, eject it, and make sure to make it read-only!

11.  Mount the DSL iso image.  At the prompt, run "mount /dev/hda2/current.iso /mnt/iso -t iso9660 -o loop=/dev/loop0" -- the runtime GNU/Linux will see it as a CDROM!

12.  Mount the "source" partition.  At the prompt, run "mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3".

13.  Copy the DSL iso contents onto the "source" partition -- this is a two-step procedure.  At the prompt, run "cp -r /mnt/iso/KNOPPIX /mnt/hda3"  When this is done, run "cp -r /mnt/iso/boot /mnt/hda3"

Now comes the difficult part.  If you're computer is like mine, 16MB RAM is just not going to be enough to run DSL in graphic mode.  So... we make an "end-run".

14.  With the DSL bootfloppy in the floppy drive, at the prompt run "reboot".  When the DSL splash-screen appears, type "dsl 2" and press Enter (this runs DSL at init-level 2 -- command-line, not graphical).

15.  Now you're ready to manually install DSL.  As root, at the prompt, run "/usr/sbin/dsl-hdinstall" and follow its prompting.  Remember: install DSL onto the "target" partition, /dev/hda2

Answer "y" to multi-user; answer "y" to bootloader, and choose GRUB (g), NOT LILO.

When the hard-drive installation is finished, remove the bootfloppy and reboot the system.  What you do with the third partition (/dev/hda3), once you've successfully installed DSL onto /dev/hda2, is up to you.

Credit to u2musicmike for code snippets from frugal_lite.sh (see posting in this forum from gigi1234 for more information)

Now, if I only knew the minimum amount of RAM for running DSL in graphic mode... I can boost this beast to 24MB or 32MB (@$30 or $50, respectively) -- hardly seems worth it, but all of my buddies with their 17"-screen Dells and Toshiba laptops running Windows XP come to ME with their problems, and I'd be even happier to shrug my shoulders AND show 'em DSL on a 9.5" screen... ya know what I mean?
Profile PM 
kriukov Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2006,16:19 QUOTE

2 JBHoren: thanks a lot, I have saved this page with instructions. Just one problem: the laptop does NOT support anything like a network card, plus DSL/Wireless Internet is inaccessible in my area. So the only way to copy the image on its hard drive is via diskettes. Does the instruction above work for this way of installation too?
Profile PM 
gigi1234 Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2006,21:03 QUOTE

Hi everyone!

I finally have a HD install of DSL going, though X is still messed up. I am making this post using the system!

If you have 40MB RAM you can run X. I upgraded from 16 to 40 and things work much better.

For future reference, what if you can't boot from a floppy and don't have net access?

This is what worked for me:
1) Use TOMSRTBT boot floppy to boot into system. Use fdisk to set up 2 partitions: 1. 64MB DOS format to hold cd image and 2. Put the rest of the space into an ext2 Linux partition.

THEN get an old parallel port zip drive and put the extracted KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX files (from DSL cd ISO) onto the DOS partition. You can do this booted in with TOMSRTBT. Make sure the zip drive is connected when you boot up. Then create appropriate mnt points for your source partition and the zip drive. Mount both of these. Then cp the /knoppix/knoppix files over. I also copied all the other files from the cd just in case.

Then make a DSL boot floppy, boot from that, use the DSL fromhd option and you should be in business. Then you can reformat the source partition (the one with the cd image files) into a swap partition.

If anyone is interested but needs more detail add a post and I'll try my best to help.

Good luck DSLers!
Profile PM 
NewLinuxGuy Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2006,00:44 QUOTE

A few fellow up questions , help please!

THank you, JBHoren and Gigi1234, for your detailed instruction. I saved both and plan to follow them. Just two follow up questions please.

1. yJBHoren, you mentioned " if I only knew the minimum amount of RAM for running DSL in graphic mode... I can boost this beast to 24MB or 32MB (@$30 or $50, respectively) " I have a Toshiba 110CT with 16MB ram. I am planning to load DSL on it and use the laptop as a digital picture frame. Will 16MB ram be enough to display digital picture on this laptop? Thanks.

2. Gigi1234, i wonder if your instruction still works will keeping the Window partition. I plan to use ghost or other partition software to cut-out a 200MB from exsiting win95 partition. Also, I don't have a zip drive, so can i use other means to get the iso image on the dos partition. I am thinking use old procomm for dos to get a parallel connection to my other pc.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.
Profile PM 
7 replies since Aug. 18 2006,21:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) </ [1] 2 >/
reply to topic new topic new poll
Quick Reply: Installing DSL on an old laptop

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code