Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Mini-ITX Boards Sale, Fanless BareBones Mini-ITX, Bootable 1G DSL USBs, 533MHz Fanless PC <-- SALE $200 each!
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. DSL Market , Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic
Pages: (3) </ 1 [2] 3 >/

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Install problems, Problems installing to hard drive< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
morpheus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 22 2007,17:47 QUOTE

UPDATE
--------
I've used the super low memory options described in the Wiki and I'm now able to boot to a command line with the prompt being root@tty1[/]# (This is using a boot disk with the current.iso)
I think this is good, but I'm not sure what I need to do at this point to install to the HD.  Any directions on how to install to the HD from the command prompt are much appreciated.  

If it would help to see the error log that's created at boot up, I'd be happy to paste it to a web site if I knew how to write the log to a floppy.
Profile PM 
roberts Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2007,17:52 QUOTE

from command prompt
# dslinstall

But with all of your cloop read errors, I suspect that either the cd is not good or the cdrom reader is not good.
Profile PM WEB 
^thehatsrule^ Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2007,19:31 QUOTE

mount your floppy first,

mount /mnt/xxx
dmesg > /mnt/xxx/dmesg.log

where xxx is your floppy drive
Profile PM 
Carl1957 Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2007,23:20 QUOTE

I've seen the same messages trying to install - turned out it was a small imperfection in the media and/or a dirty cd drive lens.
Cleaned the lens and did a fresh burn on a new cd and it went away....
Dsl Does work well on lowram systems but swap is mandatory!

My laptop has no floppy and no cd, pulled the HD and used an adapter to mount it as hd1 on my desktop and made a frugal install. Put the HD back in the laptop and my Compaq 4131T w/ 32m ram works fine.

BTW USR 2410 wireless card was recognized and works w/no fiddling.....

Almost forgot: I'm using DSL3.2 if that makes a dif....
Profile PM 
morpheus Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2007,02:32 QUOTE

Quote (Carl1957 @ Jan. 24 2007,18:20)
I've seen the same messages trying to install - turned out it was a small imperfection in the media and/or a dirty cd drive lens.
Cleaned the lens and did a fresh burn on a new cd and it went away....
Dsl Does work well on lowram systems but swap is mandatory!

My laptop has no floppy and no cd, pulled the HD and used an adapter to mount it as hd1 on my desktop and made a frugal install. Put the HD back in the laptop and my Compaq 4131T w/ 32m ram works fine.

BTW USR 2410 wireless card was recognized and works w/no fiddling.....

Almost forgot: I'm using DSL3.2 if that makes a dif....

Thank you for your response.  I think the cd itself is good because I was able to run DSL on another (newer) computer with no problem.  As you stated, the lens on the CD ROM may need to be cleaned.  

I'm curious to know if you are using the .iso or the syslinux version of 3.2.  According to what I've read, the syslinux version is suppose to work better with older hardware, but I'm finding I can at least get to a command prompt with the .iso and a boot disk.
Profile PM 
13 replies since Jan. 22 2007,13:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) </ 1 [2] 3 >/
reply to topic new topic new poll
Quick Reply: Install problems

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code