Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Mini-ITX Boards Sale, Fanless BareBones Mini-ITX, Bootable 1G DSL USBs, 533MHz Fanless PC <-- SALE $200 each!
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. DSL Market , Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic
Pages: (3) </ 1 [2] 3 >/

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Installing Intel e1000e drivers, Intel 82574L< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bartgrefte Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 20 2009,15:01 QUOTE

Yeah I know, found that command somewhere (hard to find the one which solves the "readonlly FS" error), but doesn't help.
The hostname only changes when I add the host= option during install, not after...

Recommended, but more possible?
My Windows XP computer has one with 14 characters, works fine.
edit: wait, you said 8, it shows 9 characters...
And I've read about this problem somewhere on the forum, if only I can just find that topic again...

Well, I hate waiting for week(s), that's why the pm.

Now to solve the problem with the Intel network driver that still isn't working, and I also would like to know why GRUB isn't working on this particular computer (see other topic of mine).
Profile PM 
mikshaw Offline

Posted: April 21 2009,00:37 QUOTE

Recommended, but more possible?...wait, you said 8, it shows 9 characters
More are possible, but it is limited by the distribution. I've seen somewhere that the limit is shown in a header in /sys, but since DSL doesn't have anything there I don't know what DSL's limit is...apparently it's 9.
I think the maximum (if the distro doesn't limit it) is 32? Keep in mind that if an application uses hostname but only supports 8 characters, that application would retrieve an incorrect name.  As far as I know, that's the reason for the 8-character recommendation.

--------------
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html
Profile PM WEB 
bartgrefte Offline

Posted: April 21 2009,10:00 QUOTE

Hostname problem fixed. :)

I put the host= option before ssh and toram instead of after.
Now I see the full hostname.

But... Now the backupfunction doesn't work anymore, DSL keeps showing that "DSL X Setup" during boot.
Yes, I've entered a device to save the settings to, like I did the previous times I installed DSL, but now it wont save (or load?) the settings.

Didn't do something to cause that, I think.

Ran the mke2fs command at the console while DSL was running from cdrom. (partition was already made)
Installed frugal Lilo, with the host= ssh and toram bootoptions.
Entered (when asked) a location for MyDSL.
After installation I mounted the CF-card and copied over the mydsl folder.
Removed DSL cdrom and reboot.
After booting I entered hda1 as backuplocation, like I did several times before...

Making the backup seems to go fine, but DSL won't load the saved settings anymore. ???
Profile PM 
mikshaw Offline

Posted: April 22 2009,12:33 QUOTE

Changing the order of boot options shouldn't make a difference.  I'm guessing the extra length of the hostname may be adversely affecting some programs?

What does the /proc/cmdline file contain?

What happens if you reduce the size of host name to 8 characters, without making any other changes?  If that fixes the trouble then you'll know long hostnames are not a good idea.

--------------
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html
Profile PM WEB 
bartgrefte Offline

Posted: April 23 2009,13:55 QUOTE

Apparently it does, so it seems.
Don't know, if that is the case, weird...

/proc/cmdline : (before I cut the hostname)
auto BOOT_IMAGE=DSL ro root=301 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi nomce nodma quiet frugal BOOT_IMAGE=/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX fromhd=/dev/hda1 host=BocaDelInfierno ssh

Should that line look the same like one in the lilo.conf file?
It's because I see something, well, not see something actually.
The mydsl= option isn't there at the end of the line, but it is there, and working, in the lilo.conf.

Hostname cut to 7 characters, didn't help.
Profile PM 
13 replies since April 13 2009,10:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) </ 1 [2] 3 >/
reply to topic new topic new poll
Quick Reply: Installing Intel e1000e drivers

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code