Networking :: Installing Intel e1000e drivers


just tried to install Intel's e1000e driver (e1000e- for two onboard Intel 82574L GbE NIC's on the frugal install I've got running with the toram option.

Did "tar zxf e1000e-", followed by "cd e1000e-".
Then the "make install" command, but the "make" command is not recognized...

Before someone mentiones it, I know there's already an e1000 driver present in DSL (read that somewhere on the forum), but according to Intel I have to use the e1000e driver, which I can't get installed.

So tried the already present e1000 driver anyway with "sudo modprobe e1000", get something like this:

/lib/modules/2.4.31/kernel/drivers/net/e1000/e1000.o: init_module: no such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters. You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg.
/lib/modules/2.4.31/kernel/drivers/net/e1000/e1000.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.31/kernel/drivers/net/e1000/e1000.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.31/kernel/drivers/net/e1000/e1000.o: insmod e1000 failed

Any idea how to get both NIC's working?

With regards,

Bart Grefte

Got the make command working, but now I need some development package with kernel sources.....

DSL wouldn't find the kernelsources, after I installed it with MyDSL.

After reboot the DSL files weren't loaded anymore, so here's another problem/question: How do I get DSL to load those DSL files during boot?

Tried adding this bootoption to the lilo.conf file on the CFcard: mydsl=hda1/MyDSL , where I placed the .DSL files.
Didn't help.

Found out that I had the wrong kernelsources file, my DSL is a bit more recent.

So make install workes now, more or less.
Lot's of stuff (text) fly by on the console, ends with : "make: *** [install] error 1"...

And saw this a lot "warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules".

Both modprobe and insmod say "module not found".

And, although somewhat offtopic, I can't change the hostname.
Adding "host=hostname" in the lilo.conf of the frugal install doesn't change anything...
Yes, it's in the right line, next to "mydsl=hda1/mydsl". (.dsl's are loading now btw :) )

Great, that Intel driver f*cked up things in such a way that DSL lost the settings it had saved and it won't save them anymore.

So with every boot I now get DSL X Setup again, and DSL keeps losing the setting where the device is specified to backup to...

Trying to start all over now...

What the...
I entered the hostname bootoption during installation instead of after. Now the hostname is changed, but part of it (last 6 characters) are missing?!?!?!

New nickname set as: BocaDelInfierno (Those who watch Buffy the vampire slayer will get it ;) )
But I only get "BocaDelIn"....

When using Lilo you have to run the lilo command in order to apply changes.

There is a limit to the number of characters you can use for a hostname, apparently to prevent problems with applications that use hostname.  As  I understand, it is recommended that you use 8 or fewer characters to be assured that every app will return the same hostname.

P.S. Please don't send tech questions through the private message system; they will usually be ignored. The forums are intended to assist everyone, now and in the future. PMs help only one person, one time.

Next Page...
original here.