Joined: Jan. 2005
||Posted: April 25 2005,02:45
I'm starting to give some serious thought to setting up my own internet web server. I think I have almost all the hardware I need: a Pentium 133 notebook with 40mb ram, 2 gb hd and now DSL 0.92 fully installed.
I'm on a strict budget (yup, I'm poor ), but I think I can justify upgrading my dialup service to ADSL ($30/month) if I can host my 3 websites on it (which costs me about $18/month) and still access the internet (which I'm paying about $10/month). My websites don't get alot of traffic (maybe 15-50 hits/day, with a max of about 500 hits on rare occasions). Plus I think this will be a great learning experience.
So my questions are:
1. Is what I'm thinking about doing possible or am I wasting my time and money?
2. Can I use DSL as the host system's OS and use Apache, PHP, Perl, cron and mySQL on my lowly notebook computer?
3. Will I be able to host my 3 websites (or possibly more) on this system?
4. Will I also be able to network this host system with another system to access the internet?
5. Can I use my existing 52kb hosting service to "experiment" and try to set up a "test" site or is this a waste of time?
6. Any good tutorials / sites you might recommend to get me started?
7. Any other tips?
Thanks very much,