Joined: Oct. 2005
||Posted: Oct. 25 2005,20:15
I was thinking that the embedded DSL startup could be made slightly faster if not as much hardware detection was done. Has anyone thought of the noXXX boot options that could be used?
The qemu.org documentation says that qemu emulates the following:
- i440FX host PCI bridge and PIIX3 PCI to ISA bridge
- Cirrus CLGD 5446 PCI VGA card or dummy VGA card with Bochs VESA extensions (hardware level, including all non standard modes).
- PS/2 mouse and keyboard
- 2 PCI IDE interfaces with hard disk and CD-ROM support
- Floppy disk
- NE2000 PCI network adapters
- Serial ports
- Soundblaster 16 card
I checked the Intel site for the specs on the i440FX and PIIX3 and for sure there is no firewire. Usb is supported but I don't think qemu emulates?!
I searched /etc/rcS.d/S00knoppix-autoconfig on the mounted KNOPPIX cloop for the script testing "noxxx" and found the following knoppix startup flags:
- nohwsetup, nousb, nofirewire, nomkxf86config, noswap, nofstab, nodhcp
We could probably use the following:
"noscsi nopcmcia nousb noagp"
The startup scripts for qemu don't try to disable hardware detection. I don't know if this will save much time on the bootup.