fbterm looks good
Forum: Linux and Free Software
Topic: fbterm looks good
started by: stupid_idiot
Posted by stupid_idiot on Jan. 29 2009,10:47
Wow. Can't wait to try this.
FbTerm is a fast terminal emulator for linux with frame buffer device. Features include:
* mostly as fast as terminal of linux kernel while accelerated scrolling is enabled on framebuffer device
* select font with fontconfig and draw text with freetype2, same as Qt/Gtk+ based GUI apps
* dynamicly create/destroy up to 10 windows initially running default shell
* record scrollback history for every window
* auto-detect text encoding with current locale, support double width scripts like Chinese, Japanese etc
* switch between configurable additional text encodings with hot keys on the fly
* copy/past selected text between windows with mouse when gpm server is running
* change the orientation of screen display, a.k.a. screen rotation
* lightweight input method framework with client-server architecture
Posted by Tobiaus on Feb. 03 2009,17:31
Posted by mikshaw on Feb. 03 2009,20:00
When I first started getting into desktop customizing, one of the things I tried for a while was a borderless, titlebarless, scrollbarless, transparent Eterm, which gave the visual impression of being part of the root window. The troubles with that included Eterm is a heavy application with many "unnecessary" dependencies and it was a relatively complicated task to make it transparent.
|i've always liked the idea of a term emulator for the root window.|
I tried Yeahconsole for a while, which was kinda cool...it behaves like the command terminal you get in many video games (rolls in and out at the top of the screen). I never got it working on DSL; I think it requires OpenGL, which I never bothered to try.
Posted by Tobiaus on Feb. 04 2009,05:16