New HD installer project
Forum: Programming and Scripting
Topic: New HD installer project
started by: carlosfferry
Posted by carlosfferry on Dec. 03 2006,23:38I've began to program a little script which make the installation more nice and easy to use, I haven't finished it YET, that's why I am posting here, because I would like to know if there is anybody instersted to finish it with me, I am needing to finish the post-setup part, (the part before the installation setup)
you can get the un-completed && actual code at: < my blog >
and here a < Screenshot > of what do I have done. That's the "idea" (Maybe some debian-like installer)
Please don't hesitate on contact me at carlos at gnu.cl
By the way: Ideas from non-developers are welcomed too!.
Posted by ^thehatsrule^ on Dec. 04 2006,15:17Hm, having an easier looking installation script sounds like a great idea.
- will you include a partitioning/formatting (with reboot) part?
- selection via menu (i.e. arrow keys+enter vs inputting by hand)
- is this aiming for all type of installations? Or just one?
- is this going to encompass different bootloaders (ie lilo vs grub) and different configurations? (ie install grub stage1 to hda and stage2 to hdb)
Just after a quick glance at the code...
- line 7: DIALOIG= <-- I think you meant DIALOG
- do you plan on also using the Xdialog (not included in DSL afaik) or some other X interface (ie w/ lua) ?
Posted by carlosfferry on Dec. 05 2006,00:29
But I need some help to develop those stuff.
Thanks for that, I didn't figure it out.
Yes, that's a problem. We need whiptail to use it, though whiptail's binary is only 24k.
Program it on other X interface wouldn't be a bad idea.
Posted by ^thehatsrule^ on Dec. 05 2006,01:07Awesome - good luck!
Well if you don't plan on using that Xdialog you can remove that whole if statement surround line 7 afaik.
Also, do you know if whiptail depends on any other libraries not in DSL?
Posted by carlosfferry on Dec. 05 2006,02:13
Nop! it doesn't. I was kind of scared the first time I tried. Add 24k wouldn't be a pain in the ass.
umm, any volunteers?
Posted by mikshaw on Dec. 05 2006,02:34I'm not sure why you ask about whiptail's dependencies, since it is already a part of DSL.
Posted by ^thehatsrule^ on Dec. 05 2006,14:48Heh, you're right.. it just seemed in his post that whiptail needed to be added, so I asked just in case