Joined: July 2007
||Posted: Nov. 11 2008,15:40
I dunno, but mine was a pleasant upgrade from DSL 3.3 to DSL 4.4.8.
I remembered I've managed to upgrade without using a CDROM
drive in the past:
# mount -t iso9660 /mnt/sda3/dsl-4.4.8.iso /mnt/test -o loop
After I acquired the .iso and copied it to the thumb drive, I did the
above to mount it. Was able to grab KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX that
way, along with the kernel and mini-root filesystem, and put them
where they belong. I pointed the grub record to the kernel and
The desktop came up without the fluxbox style 'envane' that I
had been using; was no problem finding envane's two required
files and restoring it to my local user directory. I could have
made it available globally and may do so later.
My backup came up way short; it was obvious that ~/.filetool.lst
in /home/dsl wasn't being seen, so I took a look around and soon
discovered there was an expected (and, I think, new) location for
this file, in /opt -- and that there was a second similarly-named
file there, /opt/.xfiletool.lst. One of the great ones here mentioned
this file is an exclude list, for things like the Cache for mozilla.
Since I always run my backups with:
$ mkdir ~/log-tmp.d
$ cd ~/log-tmp.d
$ su - dsl
$ sudo filetool.sh backup
I had no issues detecting something new was going on. I of course
mounted /mnt/sda2 to copy the backup.tar.gz to a safe location (I keep
a dozen or so revisions of this file on hand, all named
I looked in /etc/skel and found lots of goodies there; made a local copy
(let's say to ~/.hidden/skel) and poked around to see what was new.
At some point I read the Changelog on the main DSL web page, and
saw what sorts of things I'd be looking for. But that was after I'd
loaded Mozilla or Firefox and got 'bon echo' .. instead. Then I went
to Mozilla web to see wtf bon echo was about. Satisfied. Meanwhile
most of what I had worked as always.
So for me it was the matter of installing the Envane style so fluxbox
could use it, copying /home/dsl/.filetool.lst to /opt, updating grub
(vim /boot/grub/menu.lst) and exploring how the new .xinitrc in
/etc/skel invokes new features.
Last night was spent migrating from ~/.xtdesktop to ~/.dfmdesk,
which was fun and actually addresses some of my recent wishes
to do a bit more with xtdesktop than I had found it capable of doing.
lynx, vim and iptables all loaded correctly; I haven't checked
extensions I don't use often.
I noticed the startup scripts want write-access to mydsl directory,
so I changed the ownership there to dsl:staff and that made the
bad error messages go away (shortcuts.lua line 76). I generally
don't have any hard mounts by the time I login (/dev/sda2 gets
umount'ed somehow, the way I was doing things, so I added a
few lines in /opt/bootlocal.sh to make that happen at the right
time). I want it so I can cycle power with nothing mounted.
$ cat /proc/cmdline
quiet root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=792 nopcmcia noacpi nodma noscsi
fromhd=/dev/sda1 toram frugal restore=sda2 mydsl=sda2/mydsl/active
I played with checkfs boot option; it nicely checks filesystems just
as I'd do it and then reboots (that was a surprise, but not hardly).
I've backed up and restored several times. Firewall works. No
smoke coming out of the computer and I don't notice anything
I call that a good upgrade.
--- thank you --