Joined: July 2005
||Posted: July 30 2005,04:10
Ok, I have something that works for me -- now I get to see if it works for anyone else
msttfonts_dsl.tar.gz is a "green" DSL extension that provides scripts and support files that will, with a single click, do the following:
1. Download the Microsoft TrueType "core fonts" distribution files from Sourceforge (you must have a working internet connection on your DSL system to use this).
2. Extract the actual font (ttf) files from the CAB (exe) files in the distribution.
3. Package the fonts and supporting files up into an msttcorefonts.tar.gz "green" DSL extension that will give you the joys of Times New Roman and friends in a memory friendly package.
So, to try this out first download msttfonts_dsl.tar.gz. Install the extension and you'll get a "Build msttcorefonts extension" option in your MyDSL desktop menu. Run that and let the scripts will take it from there.
* I've tried this on exactly one system running a frugal HD install. Will it work on other configs? You tell me
* I've only tested this against the X server in the XFree86 4.3.0 DSL extension. I don't know if the KDrive X server even supports TT fonts, let alone whether this will work with it.
Feedback on whether this works for you is greatly desired!