Joined: Mar. 2007
||Posted: May 25 2007,04:10
(UPDATES: removed the step of erasing the hard drive, added the "dsl home=hda3 step)
FRUGAL HARD DRIVE INSTALLATION FROM LIVE CD
1. Boot up DSL from the live CD.
2. Back up all files on your hard drive to an external memory device. You MUST save all of your data, because installing an OS to the hard drive involves wiping out its entire contents. DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETED THIS STEP.
3. When the hard drive erase program is finished, reboot.
4. Boot up DSL again from the live CD. Go to XShells -> Root Access -> Dark
5. Enter the command "cfdisk". You are now in the cfdisk application.
6. Delete any and all existing partitions.
7. Create a new partition (hda1) for holding the original DSL image file. Make it a primary partition with a size of 55 MB. Place it at the beginning of the drive, and make it bootable.
8. Select hda1 and make it type 83 (Linux). Select "Write" to write it to the hard drive.
9. Select the Free Space and create a new partition for the swap drive. Make it a primary partition with a size equal to double the RAM. Place it at the end of the free space.
10. Select hda2 and make it type 82 (Linux swap). Select "Write" to write it to the hard drive.
11. Select the Free Space and create a new partition for the main drive. Make it a primary drive and use the default size (rest of the hard drive space).
12. Select hda3 and make it type 83 (Linux). Select "Write" to write it to the hard drive.
13. Select Quit to exit cfdisk and format the partitions. Enter the following commands:
sudo mke2fs /dev/hda1
sudo mke2fs /dev/hda3
sudo mkswap /dev/hda2
14. Reboot the computer. When the big DSL splash screen appears, do nothing or press Enter if you are booting from the live CD.
15. When you are in DSL, go to DSL menu -> Apps -> Tools -> Frugal Install -> Frugal GRUB Install
16. Use hda1 as the target partition to hold the image. Install from the live CD. Select y to format.
17. When the hard drive installation is finished, reboot the computer, and remove the DSL CD when you are instructed to do so. When you are asked to select one of multiple DSL options, choose the first (default) option. At the DSL X setup, select cancel for the default configuration.
18. To save your configuration settings to the image file on the hard drive, go to DSL menu -> System -> Backup/Restore and backup to device "hda3". If you mess up the configuration, restore from device "hda3". Please save your configuration settings every time you successfully make the change you want, such as setting up the printer.
19. Reboot DSL with the live CD. When you reach the splash screen, press F2 and enter "dsl home=hda3". This saves the home directory to /mnt/hda3.
kernel /boot/linux24 root=/dev/hda1 quiet vga=normal noacpi noapm nodma noscsi frugal home=hda3 opt=hda3 restore=hda3 root=hda3