Joined: Feb. 2007
||Posted: May 18 2008,21:40
I'm separating this from the remastering guide because it's a distinct topic and because there's been some interest expressed in updating the gdb extension.
|I did it so that I could make an extension of the Gnu Debugger at the same time.|
Did you compress as UCI or just tar.gz? Do you boot toram so that would explain why your RAM use was so inflated?
I'm also curious if you set any other variables when running configure. I just compiled gdb and strace in the same directory (/opt/gdb-6.8) but without any other configure options other than target=i486-linux for either. As a result, I have the following bloat I could cut:
That's out of a total unstripped 36MB for the whole thing.
I'd remove those to shave off about 10% barring objections from those who'd insist on keeping info and/or NLS (da, cn, vi, es, fi, fr, ja, rw, sv, tr, zh_CN, de, id, nl, pt) even though the online documentation is extensive and adequate.
FWIW, I put these two together because strace isn't nearly as big as gdb and I think the users who'd be interested in one would be interested in the other as well since they can be used in tandem.
"It felt kind of like having a pitbull terrier on my rear end."
-- meo (copyright(c)2008, all rights reserved)