Damn Small Linux Forums
Boot from USB? - Printable Version

+- Damn Small Linux Forums (https://damnsmalllinux.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Damn Small Linux Forum (https://damnsmalllinux.org/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Help Section (https://damnsmalllinux.org/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Boot from USB? (/thread-130.html)

Boot from USB? - ascendedmaster - 06-24-2024

Hi.  Do I still need to run Isohybrid on the dsl-2024.rc5.iso image to create a bootable USB?  I'm on Linux Mint and have tried this following the instructions and using USB Image Writer and Etcher to write to USB.  No luck so far in creating a bootable USB for my Asus VivoBook.  Never had any problems booting other distros from USB with my laptop before.

Any links to a foolproof, USB bootable DSL image for new Linux users?  Thanks.

I have also tested Antix on my VivoBook. Burned the current ISO to USB using USB Image Writer on Mint. The VivioBook booted from USB with no problems. Any tips would be welcome. Thanks.

RE: Boot from USB? - grindstone - 06-24-2024

Assuming the checksum is good, the resulting image from running isohybrid on the dsl-2024.rc5.iso should have worked on USB. The (larger) dsl-2024.rc5.lz4.iso has already had that done and has been provided to run slightly faster for USB users.

I do not know the Linux Mint utilities or have an answer for why something booted from using the same tools (very nice work to check both, BTW!). What you might do is use John's link to do it all by hand so that you will at least know it was written correctly.

RE: Boot from USB? - ascendedmaster - 06-24-2024

(06-24-2024, 01:34 PM)grindstone Wrote: Assuming the checksum is good, the resulting image from running isohybrid on the dsl-2024.rc5.iso should have worked on USB.  The (larger) dsl-2024.rc5.lz4.iso has already had that done and has been provided to run slightly faster for USB users. 

I do not know the Linux Mint utilities or have an answer for why something booted from using the same tools (very nice work to check both, BTW!).  What you might do is use John's link to do it all by hand so that you will at least know it was written correctly.

Ok mate.  Wasn't clear to me that dsl-2024.rc5.lz4.iso was already prepared with Isohybrid.  I'll try again and report back.  Thanks.

(06-24-2024, 02:33 PM)ascendedmaster Wrote:
(06-24-2024, 01:34 PM)grindstone Wrote: Assuming the checksum is good, the resulting image from running isohybrid on the dsl-2024.rc5.iso should have worked on USB.  The (larger) dsl-2024.rc5.lz4.iso has already had that done and has been provided to run slightly faster for USB users. 

I do not know the Linux Mint utilities or have an answer for why something booted from using the same tools (very nice work to check both, BTW!).  What you might do is use John's link to do it all by hand so that you will at least know it was written correctly.

Ok mate.  Wasn't clear to me that dsl-2024.rc5.lz4.iso was already prepared with Isohybrid.  Can I expect it to work if I burn the image with Etcher or USB Image Writer on Mint, or do I need to use dd?  I'll try again and report back.  Thanks.

RE: Boot from USB? - ascendedmaster - 06-24-2024

dsl-2024.rc5.lz4.iso as downloaded directly didn't work with Balena Etcher reporting several errors - missing partition table - not a bootable image and exits reporting a failure.  MD5 checksum was good.  Do I need to extract the files from the dsl-2024.rc5.lz4.iso image first somehow to create a bootable usb ?  Does this only work with dd?

Antix iso downloads and burns to a bootable usb with no issues.  Thanks.

RE: Boot from USB? - grindstone - 06-24-2024

OK I didn't read your post carefully enough to notice you had a newer computer.

After mounting rc5,4,1 & antiX full, we don't seem to have the syslinux or EFI stuff. I admit to ignorance whether we did or not and have not tried DSL on anything newer than mid-oughts.

Easy answer for this instant is: use the antiX

More complicated answer: Yeah, it's all possible to hatch your own iso, but...a large amount of work and arguably dubious value with such a capable machine. Absent trying "legacy bios" in your cmos setup (at other potentially unwelcome costs), I suspect your PC wants 64-bit and EFI.

Please accept my apology.

RE: Boot from USB? - ascendedmaster - 06-28-2024

So the dsl-2024.rc5.lz4.iso won't boot from USB on a UEFI system?