Damn Small Linux (DSL) Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 04, 2015, 03:49:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
News
The new DSL forums are now open.
Stats
298215 Posts in 294244 Topics by 267 Members
Latest Member: zaynispart
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic

+  Damn Small Linux (DSL) Forums
|-+  Damn Small Linux
| |-+  Site News
| | |-+  DSL coming back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: DSL coming back  (Read 59884 times)
CNK

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2015, 12:59:27 AM »

I can't see any new topic in the other sections of the forum.

Anyway, graphics problems pop with some laptops, but there are usually ways to get around them. The DSL Wiki has a section on boot codes (http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/cheat_codes.html), they're not menu slectable, you have to type "dsl [cheatcodes]" and press enter. With [cheatcodes] being whatever options you need.

Try "fb800x600" (you need to leave off the "dsl" bit for this command), so that DSL avoids trying to use specific video drivers that may not be working properly.

If still no joy, you can try the "dsl vga=xxx" command (http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/vga_xxx.html).
Mac88

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2015, 04:22:14 AM »

Thanks CNK. I knew the answers had to be somewhere, just not sure where to look. I'll dig into that stuff in a couple days and let you know how I made out. I'll post any further questions in the Help topic. Thanks again for your assistance.

Mac88
matrixmike

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2015, 01:30:51 AM »

Thanks CNK. I knew the answers had to be somewhere, just not sure where to look. I'll dig into that stuff in a couple days and let you know how I made out. I'll post any further questions in the Help topic. Thanks again for your assistance.

Mac88
Hi there, great to see DSL is making a return - I used it on many machines and always had a USB stick version for those networks I visited that had not disabled that feature. I installed the old
'Linux box 2.4.31 #6 SMP Fri Oct 21 15:15:54 EDT 2005 i686 unknown'
version on 'this' old laptop earlier this week and was pleased.  I see some comments about the apt stuff - I will try the new version. I use DSL for demos on old hardware to prove the point that old stuff is not always useless. Good for network ssh,putty demos and a bit of history which explains why some new distros can be weird...    I'd donate but ATM unemployed which is why I have so much time to test etc...
Great stuff
Mike
Mac88

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2015, 03:12:07 AM »

I haven't gotten around to re-attempting the DSL install on my old Compaq. Been busy with other projects and writing some scripts to handle the SD chips in some video gear I recently purchased. I'll get back to the install when I get caught up.

Mac88
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: