Damn Small Linux (DSL) Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2015, 12:30:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
The new DSL forums are now open.
298242 Posts in 294239 Topics by 256 Members
Latest Member: YasminGart
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic

+  Damn Small Linux (DSL) Forums
|-+  Damn Small Linux
| |-+  USB booting
| | |-+  Cannot Access Internet
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cannot Access Internet  (Read 601 times)

View Profile Email
« on: September 14, 2015, 05:38:30 PM »

I'm new to linux so i'd be grateful if you can bear with me. I have been trying to run DSL from a flash drive but i cannot access the net. i have broadband so i don't know why this is not connecting.

Can anyone please shed light on what could be the problem?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 10:34:03 PM »

Are you connected using WiFi or ethernet cable?

If Ethernet, try the netcardconf program in the DSL menu under "Setup > Net Setup". Presumably DHCP is enabled on your router or modem, enable this option in the settings to have it configured automatically.

If it doesn't work, open a terminal window and use the "ifconfig" command to list your network interfaces. Normally there will be two listed on the left, one named "eth0" and another "lo". If your computer also has a wireless interface, that may be listed too. Try any interfaces listed additionally to these two in case one is your ethernet connection.

If you want to connect with WiFi, you should use the iwconfig menu in "Net Setup" to configure it. Again, you'll need to know the interface name if it isn't "eth0". Use the "iwconfig" command in the terminal to list any detected wireless interfaces. If no wireless interfaces are found (the only results say "no wireless extensions"), then you'll need to look into the chipset used by your wireless interface and check which Linux drivers should be installed or configured to make the interface work.

Your networking hardware should be listed as a device in the "pci" section of the "system stats" tool in the DSL Menu under "System >", unless it is a usb device in which case using lsusb at the terminal might reveal it. The information listed here may be useful for identifying the chipset used by your hardware if it has not been correctly detected by DSL.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: