Damn Small Linux (DSL) Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 10:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
News
The new DSL forums are now open.
Stats
297728 Posts in 294151 Topics by 233 Members
Latest Member: xtud8djl
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic

+  Damn Small Linux (DSL) Forums
|-+  Damn Small Linux
| |-+  User Feedback
| | |-+  Small DSL computer to run my hobby projects.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Small DSL computer to run my hobby projects.  (Read 1626 times)
mkarcz

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2013, 05:02:50 AM »

Hello,

I am a programmer during the day and digital electronics/retro-computing hobbyist at night.
My first contact with DSL happened some 10 years ago. I did not think of it much then.
It impressed me that it could be booted up from 2 3.5" disks (even from one when squeezed), which I used to resurrect an old 386-SX PC. Flash memory sticks weren't that popular and reliable back then.
Long years passed, 2 children were born and I am back to my tinkering with anything CPU, 8-bit retro or just old.
One of my 1st projects after resurrecting my sentiments toward 8-bit microprocessors was a LED Matrix Scrolling Board with 8052 microcontroller:

http://6502cpu.blogspot.com/2012/01/8051-based-led-matrix-scrolling-message.html

Not yet a DSL, but getting there, so bear with me.
When I tried to invent some practical use for my contraption, I decided it would be a News Headlines Prompter in my geek cave.
But my contraption did not have a network interface (just RS232) nor advanced scripting capabilities. I was thinking Arduino (but learning curve too wide - at the time I did not play with Arduino yet) or another contraption. Then I decided I would cheat and came up with this:

http://6502cpu.blogspot.com/2012/03/damn-small-linux-led-matrix-scrolling.html

Now this thing is also my backup and file server as well. I love it. Very reliable and almost maintenance free (sometimes I need to fix stuff I myself break).
Maybe this is not much by the  Linux world standards, nevertheless I am impressed and proud of these stats:

dsl@box:/opt$ uptime
 00:26:33 up 207 days,  3:02, load average: 0.04, 0.01, 0.00

I hope I will reach a year without stopping this thing. I must login to it from time to time just to remind myself how to use it :-), since it is just a configure, run and forget type of system. My DSL runs without any keyboard or display, no X-windows/GUI. Just bare minimum. I login to it via network or RS232 port.
It boots from a USB flash drive. Has another USB flash drive as a temporary storage and two 2TB hard drives connected: one on the SATA running with the computer (file server, temporary backup) and one via USB turned on only for a permanent backup that runs every 3 months.
---
Marek
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 05:08:10 AM by mkarcz » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: