Damn Small Linux (DSL) Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 02:33:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
News
The new DSL forums are now open.
Stats
297628 Posts in 294181 Topics by 219 Members
Latest Member: paola
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic

+  Damn Small Linux (DSL) Forums
|-+  Damn Small Linux
| |-+  HD Install
| | |-+  "Loading sata_vsc.o..."
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Loading sata_vsc.o..."  (Read 9 times)
3guesses

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »

Hi,

I'm technically proficient but not overly experienced with Linux (for years now I have tended to install Slackware as part of a multiboot set-up on all my machines, but don't boot into it that often) and am very new to DSL.  I have set up a USB memory stick with multiple installation/live CD options using WinSetupFromUSB (which I heartily recommend) which seems to work fine for running DSL as a live CD.  However, I am having trouble installing it to the HDD on both my MSI laptop and Shuttle PC.

When I boot DSL from memory stick without any options it boots fine, but when I run "fdisk -l" in a terminal window it doesn't show the machine's HDD - on the Shuttle PC it shows nothing, and on the laptop it only shows the memory stick.

When I boot DSL from the memory stick using the "dsl sata" option, the boot process hangs very early on with the message "Loading sata_vsc.o..."

Both machines have SATA HDDs, and both are set to IDE emulation in the BIOS since I also have Windows 2000 and Windows XP installations on them (and I haven't looked into creating Windows installation CDs which incorporate the necessary SATA drivers).

Can anyone help with either the "fdisk -l" problem or the "Loading sata_vsc.o..." problem?

Thanks very much,

3g
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: