Damn Small Linux (DSL) Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 08:09:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
News
The new DSL forums are now open.
Stats
1249 Posts in 245 Topics by 256 Members
Latest Member: ckrnmcig79
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
Get The Official Damn Small Linux Book. Great VPS hosting provided by Tektonic

+  Damn Small Linux (DSL) Forums
|-+  Non-DSL Topics
| |-+  water cooler
| | |-+  youtube Linux Sucks LFNW 2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: youtube Linux Sucks LFNW 2012  (Read 1456 times)
RobM

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:18:07 PM »

I'm pretty new to Linux, maybe this is old stuff for you all, but I thought it was really funny.

The interesting thing is that Bryan Lunduke said that one of the main reasons Linux sucks is that it is slow. Worth watching the presentation just for that. DSL is not mentioned at all, but he makes a big deal about Puppy Linux as the growth leader.

I will enjoy hearing your comments.

Rob
mterras

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:36:53 PM »

Hi RobM,
Linux has no need of me as a defender, so i will give you only one practical example of the "alternative way" it can be, and much more.
I "had" a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz -originally- powered by MS-Windows XP, since about year 2004 (second hand). At the beginning, it works like a charm, was very fast and really multi-task despite "mono-core". And "Time was NOT on its side" (Rolling Stones are wrong for it), so i had more and more issues, crashes, freezings, blue screens of death, SATA HD deconnexions, with more and more updates, more and more viral signatures to download...
So i took decision of a "final" update for XP: i put the IDE boot disk as slave, and added one more 30GB IDE drive  and installs Ubuntu 12.04. All is working perfectly, AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT.
Of course, i've some more software alternatives to find, but i know i will make it possible. No more antivirus, updates made without "pressure" ...
"Bref", to make short: put a recent Linux in an earlier PC, and you will understand that your hardware can go on for several more years... We call this "développement durable" in France. So we can say Linux powers "Green Computers".
One other example: i write this post from a Celeron450 laptop (1996? 1997?) powered by DSL-NOT...
Just one more thing, as Steve Jobs used to say: Make your own choices before others do these for you. It's my best definition for the freedom, available in many domains...
Sincerely,
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:27:26 PM by mterras » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: