Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'
(03-11-2024, 06:11 AM)krytie3@yahoo.com Wrote:
(03-10-2024, 09:56 PM)BG405 Wrote: Was that 200GB drive originally in that machine? I suspect you might have the old ~40GB limit in your BIOS.

Try setting a partition of ~30GB and using that for the installation. You should be able to allocate the rest with a partition as big as you like, for data etc.. You might have to use a newer machine (maybe with IDE/SATA USB interface) to set the disk up, like I did years back. Also no more than 3½G of RAM should be installed as more might cause issues.

I'd expect the drive and partitions to show as sda1, 2, etc. by the way.

Thanks BG405 I'll give that a try! You are correct the 200GB HDD is new. Not sure about the BIOS limitation. RAM I know is limited to 1.5GB so that problem will never come up.  

Yes that is curious that it shows msdos1 instead of sda1. I wonder if it could be remnants of the old Windows OS that used to be on the HDD, although I did select to overwrite and use the entire HDD for dsl2024.
BG405 thanks again: reinstalling using a 7.5GB partition for installation and the remainder for data worked great! My 2001 BIOS appeared to be unable to see beyond 7-8GB so I tailored the install to that size. 

My web browsing is not very reliable but I had that problem with my previous OS Q4OS ; possibly related to my Pentium 4 1.5GHz CPU?

Messages In This Thread
RE: error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0' - by krytie3@yahoo.com - 03-14-2024, 04:06 PM