Joined: Nov. 2006
||Posted: Nov. 02 2006,12:23
I just installed DSL 3.0.1 on an ancient donated laptop, a Toshiba Satellite 220CS with a P133 processor, 48 MB of RAM, a 1.5 GB harddisk and a 3COM PCMCIA network adapter (10 MBIT). --
Installing was a story of it's own that I might write down later. I was very happy to see how easy MyDSL makes it to install additional software and AbiWord was high on my list as I tried to use DSL's Ted with a DSL 1.5 on the same laptop half a year ago but found it almost unusable for my purposes.
Installing AbiWord was a breeze. But when I wanted to adapt the settings for the default styles ("Normal", headings, and so on), it crashed on me. This is reproducable -- at least on my machine:
* open the MyDSL Extensions browser and select AbiWord from the "Apps" section.
* install it.
* open AbiWord
* from the "Format" menu open "Style" -> "Create and Modify..."
* Chances are that the style "Normal" is selected. Click on the "Change" button (I think that's the name; acutally I am writing this from somewhere else ;-). The according dialogue window opens, but after less than a second the whole app crashes and disappears.
I tried many times, starting from the command line did not provide any sensible information.
* Can anyone confirm this problem?
* Can this be related to the hardware (48 MB seem to be enough RAM, plus there is a RAMdisk of 128MB)
* Is there any fix for this?