Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interest in a lower compression iso optimized for USB booting?
Due to the goal of maximizing compatibility and including as many useful applications into the constraints of a 700MB CD size I am using zx compression on the ISO.  The trade-off here is that time to boot from the live image can be impacted.  It isn't that noticeable on more powerful hardware, but on light weight netbooks or virtual machines it can slow the process of booting down.  This does not affect boot time once DSL is installed on a hard drive.

I've noticed that a lot of people are installing DSL 2024 on pen drives and using them to boot their netbooks or running DSL in a virtual machine.  It would not be very difficult to provide an ISO that is optimized for these boot methods.  With an identical build but switching from zx compression to lz4 compression I've halved the boot time in Qemu.  The drawback is that the ISO is larger, 1084M vs. 632M for the zx version -- not really critical for most people who are interested in running DSL in a virtual machine or booting from USB.

So, is there interest?  Could I get people to report the difference in boot time?

Messages In This Thread
Interest in a lower compression iso optimized for USB booting? - by John - 02-22-2024, 06:29 PM