Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on Main Screen Network Properties
I have two DSL systems set up on two different very old PC's. Everything is working fine so far, but on one of the systems the Network Properties are not populated even though it is hard wired on ethernet. I do have access to the internet and can browse with no issues. I do not see any adverse behavior. Just wondering why one PC has the properties populated and the other one does not?
FYI: In case someone lands here looking for the same thing.

The information presented in the upper right-hand corner of a fresh DSL installation is provided by Conky. Information about Conky can be seen HERE and HERE.

To find your current configuration file location, from a terminal, type conky -v and look for System config file: /etc/conky/conky.conf

Then enter sudo nano /etc/conky/conky.conf to view and edit the file.

I found this section for Networking:

Code:
${color grey}Networking:
Up:$color ${upspeed eth0} ${color grey} - Down:$color ${downspeed eth0}
$hr
In a standard DSL install you will actually want to alter the ~/.conkyrc file which supersedes the default conky config fie.

At the bottom of the file you will see this code:

Code:
${color 009ee0}Network:
${if_up wlan0}${offset 0}${color lightgrey} IP on wlan0: ${alignr}${addr wlan0}${endif}${if_up eth0}${offset 0}${color lightgrey} IP on eth0: ${alignr}${addr eth0}${endif}
${if_up wlan0}${offset 0} Up - ${upspeed wlan0} k/s ${alignr} Down - ${downspeed wlan0}k/s ${color}${endif}${if_up eth0} Up - ${upspeed eth0} k/s ${alignr} Down - ${downspeed eth0}k/s ${color}${endif}
$color$hr

I am guessing your network device on the one computer is reading as something other than the standard eth0?
Try typing in: "ip link show" into a term window and see what comes up.  Odds are you will be able to plug variant right in where "eth0" is now and conky will be able to read it properly.