Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eth0 is showing two IP addresses no matter what I do to fix it!
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and I am happy that DSL is back in action! Thank you John for resurrecting this awesome project!. 

That being said, I installed DSL on a Qemu/libvirt/kvm VM on Arch Linux and even though it installed correctly, no matter what I do, I cannot get the network to work properly.  When I do a ip addr show, it shows two IP addresses for the eth0 interface:  A 192.168.122.x address, and a 169.254.x.x address.  Also my /etc/resolv.conf file has no nameservers defined in it. I tried to reconfigure the interface using the Network interface tool in Control Center, and I configured the IP to be set by DHCP, but no matter how many times I restart the networking, using  ifdown eth0/ifup eth0, after a minute or so, the damn 169 address appears again and networking completely stops.  I even tried setting the IP as a static IP, but still, the 169 address shows up.  Any idea as to what might be the issue and how I can fix this permanently? or is this a misconfiguration in the base install of DSL?

Thank you and please let me know if you need any more information!
Hi Xsilentmurmurx,

I have to confess to not having any experience with libvirt. I have run DSL directly with qemu quite often and haven't run into this situation.

The empty /etc/resolv.conf file indicates that DNS is not being set up properly.

Did you try releasing and resetting dhcpclinet?

Try:
sudo dhclient -r
sudo dhclient

Then verify the IP address:
ip addr show eth0

I am guessing there is some type of mis-configuration between the libvirt settings and the defaults in DSL. Please post an update. I am also hoping that someone with libvirt experience comes in to help out.