Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ConnMan tray-- no wifi connection
Upon boot I see the ConnMan connection app with my wifi detected.  As I had to reboot my PC to get back online, this note is done from a  memory that might not be accurate.  Network manager usually detects possible network names followed by a window to enter the network password.  DSL is not going to be too popular if the wifi setup isn't simple, easily understood and quickly executed.

My help request is a walk-through for the ConnMan Tray.  I can see advantages of ConnMan. This is the first Linux distro that I've run into that uses it.  Sell me on it!

Need to put the ConnMan info in the FAQ folder. 

I would also include the user name is "demo" with password "demo" and "root" is the password for the superuser root. If the user wants to play in the terminal and use connmanctl commands, they will soon need the passwords.

Don't mean to be a grump and feel free to flame me if I should have found the info somewhere in a help section.
Thanks for the feedback. I will make sure documentation for ConnMan is in the iso. Keep in mind this is an alpha release and not super polished yet. The main reason for an alpha release is to find issues like this and address them.
(02-04-2024, 05:08 AM)John Wrote: Thanks for the feedback.  I will make sure documentation for ConnMan is in the iso.  Keep in mind this is an alpha release and not super polished yet.  The main reason for an alpha release is to find issues like this and address them.

I'm good with the bug check stuff and have nothing but awe for anybody putting a distro out.  Will keep poking at it for soft spots.

The background and colors are pretty sharp
Tried the CLI method instead of the ConnMan Tray. The connmanctl command often gives a list of commands in the shell, but when followed, I get returned to the same command list with "Error: not supported in non-interactive mode" Even trying the "agent off" option returns to the option process list.

Found Ceni option to connect, but it fails at the end as well.

USB stick will boot on my old Acer tower (not in UEFI) but only visible in the "safe" mode
Opening a query window for the essid does work, but I cannot enter a "space" with the keyboard space bar??
My home wifi network is called "Priester Place". Experimented with substitutes for space but no joy.

Hooking directly with ethernet cable works.

The Ceni does not see my wifi either on scan or roam.
Did it work with the manual approach I outlined in the other post?
https://damnsmalllinux.org/forums/thread...html#pid41
(02-06-2024, 01:03 AM)John Wrote: Did it work with the manual approach I outlined in the other post?
https://damnsmalllinux.org/forums/thread...html#pid41

Am maybe too senile to keep up on this thread.  Sent a post this morning but cannot see it.

iwconfig sees the wireless potential for the computer

ifconfig wlan0 up  =>   SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory (tried "down" then "up" again)

iwlist wlan0 scan  =>Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down   (network working at the time on wife's computer wifi)

Figuring I had little to lose, I continued anyway and made a wpa_supplicant.conf file in /etc using vim and ran it.

"successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
Could not set interface "wlan0" (UP)- no such file or directory
nl80211 Could not set interface "wlan0" (UP)
nl80211 deinit ifname=wlan0 disabled lib rate=0
wlan0: failed to initialize driver interface
blah blah blah"

Am thinking I might put MxLinux on a stick to see if it has the same bug
No Joy Sad 

I can boot an antiXLinux USB stick and have the wifi connect like a midnight mosquito. Apps not as good an array as DSL.

Went to this site https://man.archlinux.org/man/connmanctl.1#NAME to get some more info on "connman".  The example recommendations do not work either. I can see where the ssid and password entries are made and the toggles for on/off are working (entries from the ConnMan System tray). Connmanctl "technologies" command is as far as it goes before defaulting to a list of suggested options, each of which return me to the same list with an error message at the bottom.

Interesting line in the arch linux site: "connecting to protected wireless access points for the first time requires interactive shell."

Has anybody reading this forum been able to connect to wifi using Connman??
The alpha3 .iso solved my wifi problem.  ConnMan at least identified the wifi network upon hitting the "rescan".  I tabbed the wifi => configure =.then able to use the network password to get things clicking Big Grin
(02-07-2024, 04:46 PM)Pet3M0ss Wrote: Has anybody reading this forum been able to connect to wifi using Connman??

Sorry wish I'd seen this sooner. Connman does indeed find and connect to WiFi with the machines I've tested.