Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to install Zoom
Tried to install Zoom today since it seems that the webcam on my laptop is ready to go. Zoom isn't part of the regular debian repository but it can be downloaded. So I installed the dependencies and then, as said, I tried to install it. Unfortunately it depends on several packages that are held back with the antix desktop metapackage. In other words it didn't work in the present environment. So I'll have to wait for the next version of dsl that probably will sort out a lot of the present snags.

// meo
I installed a "Test" DSL 2024 to try to install Zoom. I didn't hold back anything but just updated and upgraded. I did that before the actual install. First I didn't think of it and tried to install zoom_arm64.deb which naturally failed. Then I did the right thing and installed zoom_i386.deb and that worked. The GUI came up when running the command zoom but since I didn't have anyone to connect to at the moment I will have to try that later on.

// meo
I've installed Zoom few times on different distributions and it always seems to be a bit of work. Now I just elect to use the Zoom in a browser, it is so much simpler that way and I don't have to worry about forced updates and the like.
(02-12-2024, 08:46 PM)John Wrote: I've installed Zoom few times on different distributions and it always seems to be a bit of work.  Now I just elect to use the Zoom in a browser, it is so much simpler that way and I don't have to worry about forced updates and the like.

I've never used Zoom in a browser so I don't know how secure that is. I use Zoom for video conferences in which everybody can be active, commenting or even giving a talk about a special subject. I had a talk in Spanish a while ago with about six or even seven hundred persons connected in Europe, South America, North America and possible Asia. So it has to work in a secure way. I just want to make it work in DSL because I like the OS and would use it when there aren't so many connected and it wouldn't be a catastrophe if it failed. In settings where I wouldn't have an assignation and it is more like a discussion. So making Zoom work in DSL for me is because I would like it. I like to use it and actually I've already used it in a production setting since I write a lot and always quote from the internet about the subject at hand. So being able to use a browser (now Firefox) and an office program like Abiword at the same time is enough mostly. But when it comes to IT I'm often like a problem solver that might involve programming or setting up local LMM's. The latter I don't plan to do in DSL though even if I can be made to work well on this laptop. Setting up local LMM's I do on other computers even if I have made that work on this laptop too. So the BOTTOM LINE is that DSL 2024 is YOUR PROJECT and you do as you see fit with it. I'm using it because it is fun and the more I can use it the nicer it would be for me. So, thanks for taking up this project! I'll follow the development closely and I might come with a suggestion but that is all it is, a suggestion.

Kind Regards,
meo

"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire
Just want to mention that I installed Zoom 32 bit i386 and it worked flawlessly. But when testing to connect to european servers 32 bit wasn't an option. Only 64 bit versions can log in (at least where I tried). So here the efforts to make Zoom work on DSL stops here. No point if it works and you can't connect.

// meo