Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just like the way these turned out.
Just got a shipment of blank CDs with the logo on it and I really like the way they look.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-02-2024, 11:25 PM)John Wrote: Just got a shipment of blank CDs with the logo on it and I really like the way they look.

Yes John, they look good! I remember that I bought some of the 50 MB DSL on cd. Sadly I don't have them now. When you move around things thend to disappear. But I still have the cd in the official DSL book sealed and untouched. Brings back memories. When the DSL-2024 matures a bit I'll probably buy some. I now live in Sweden so I guess the shipping will cost a bit.

// meo
I do like the design. I think rewritables may be a good idea too, assuming these aren't?

I used to put DSL on those 3-inch mini-CDs, which I have somewhere here.

I know the modern DSL won't fit on one of those but it will fit on a mini-DVD+RW, leaving ~700MB of space for user storage/persistence/whatever (maybe some popular packages for offline installation? Or is that straying too far from the goal?) I think it'd be cool to have those on offer.

I'll just have to find the discs, for testing purposes ...
>Or is that straying too far from the goal?

I don't know. I am open to all possibilities, but there is only so much I can tackle at a time. BTW, I looked it up and there are such things as business card size DVDs (335MB). Today I think USBs are the more practical medium to carry a Linux environment on the go.

I would like to work on persistence in the future.
In my opinion it seems to be a good idea to stick with normal cd's, at least for now. I haven't used that media to boot lixux distros for a while though. The last time I moved (about 12 years ago) I dumped hundreds of cd's with linux distributions burnt on them. Unfortunately dozens of tiny DSL cd's were included. Something that I have had ample time to regret by now. Back to the matter at hand, DSL-2024 on some kind of media. I have installed linux distributions from one usb stick to another so I just assume that this will be possible if buying a DSL-2024 cd. I'd rather ask though: Will it be possible to install DSL-2024 from a cd to an usb drive? If that's possible it would solve the whole matter from my point of view. Donating to this (in my eyes interesting) project at the same time as you get the option to install DSL-2024 the way you prefer or running it live from a cd. Plenty of options as I see it. So, to repeat the main issue in my mind: Will it be possible to install DSL-2024 from a cd to an usb drive?

// meo
(03-02-2024, 11:25 PM)John Wrote: Just got a shipment of blank CDs with the logo on it and I really like the way they look.

Glad you are happy Mr. Andrews and thanks again for doing everything, but he looks a little shifty to me Smile

(I like the happy friendly penguins)
> Will it be possible to install DSL-2024 from a cd to an usb drive?

Yes. There is a script in Alpha2 that give the user the choice between using the image on the CD or downloding the latest from the website.

>he looks a little shifty to me

I could see that, but to me he looks clever, small and capable.
Hi John! A question I should have asked before: What would the shipping cost be on a cd ordered from Sweden?

// meo
Best I could tell it's USD $3.00.
Those do look nice. Does the DSL mascot have a name?