Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Badwolf feedback requested
I selected Badwolf as the default browser because it seems to have low ram use compared to other HTML5 browsers and has a relatively small footprint.

I would really like some feedback on people's experience with it.  I think some folks are missing how to enable JavaScript.  For those of you installing DSL are you using Badwolf or are you quickly switching over to something like Firefox?
Hi John! First I used Badwolf and was positively surprised since I hadn't used it before. To be honest, after a while I installed Firefox since I have used it since it's conception and like it. Another reason was that I have all my bookmarks syncronised and I have a special setup with maps full of links to different subjects etc. I like Badwolf, for the reasons you mentioned, but it's way more practical for me to use Firefox.

// meo

PS Just resurrected an old Asus eeePC 1001PX I think so Badwolf will probably be the best choice on that PC DS
(03-19-2024, 02:00 AM)John Wrote: I selected Badwolf as the default browser because it seems to have low ram use compared to other HTML5 browsers and has a relatively small footprint.

I would really like some feedback on people's experience with it.  I think some folks are missing how to enable JavaScript.  For those of you installing DSL are you using Badwolf or are you quickly switching over to something like Firefox?
Hi again John! Posting this from the "resurrected" Asus eeePC 1001PX using Badwolf running DSL 2024 rc1. I booted from the safe graphic mode and got a 800x600 resolution. Running from an USB drive and due to the resolution I have to scroll sideways too. Other than that Badwolf works as it's supposed to. This PC has an odd resolution as default 1024x600 I think it is. Maybe I'll get another resolution in installing. At present I have Windows 10 Professional and elementary installed as dual boot. I'll give the USB another go to see if I can get a better resolution.

// meo

DS Actually I'm delighted that I could resurrect this PC since I had my doubts. DS
Thanks for the feedback Meo. I am wondering if it is just too minimalistic for the average user. I could get Firefox in the iso with room to spare if I take out Badwolf. I am hoping others chime in too.
Hi John!

If I had to choose I would go for Firefox if it's possible. I that Firefox is the preferred web browser among many Linux users so if at all possible I think it would be a positive thing to switch Badwolf for Firefox.

// meo
I like/use Ffox elsewhere but honestly the lowest of the low-end machines don't run the prebuilt esr acceptably.  Could be nobody else has those Smile  Gets to what DSL objectives are... 

FWIW, just learned of netsurf -- haven't used it (yet).  I see flatpaks and source...and it's sitting in universe (but old, naturally).  64-bit build is ~5MB installed. 
http://www.netsurf-browser.org

Deps are gtk...digging. 

To me, the only thing I care about in a browser is that it (a) runs usably and (b) is current/patched/active. 

FWIW.

netsurf -> netsurf-gtk ->

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.15), libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4), libcurl4 (>= 7.16.2), libexpat1 (>= 2.0.1), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.25.2), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.31.18), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0), libjpeg8 (>= 8c), libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.18.0), libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libpng16-16 (>= 1.6.2-1), librsvg2-2 (>= 2.14.4), libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.0), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), netsurf-common (= 3.6-3.2)
I have used Netsurf quite a bit. It renders well compared to Links2 in graphics mode or Dillo, but it isn't full HTML5 compatible and has limited javascript functionality. In terms of ease of use it is pretty good imo, it doesn't lack the basics. I would say it is a good alternative for minimal hardware.
My current thinking is to drop Badwolf and add both Netsurf and FF-esr. Netsurf fits nicely between Dillo and FF in capability and is very light and FF-esr is taking about the same amount of space as Badwolf when you take into account all the required dependencies.
Hi John,

Badwolf was bad on my ancient 32-bit Pentium M system. It was really slow. Firefox was quite a bit better on it, so I'm glad FF is now in RC2.

Thanks for DSL '24
A1simpleton, I am glad FF is working out better for you. Also, if you are viewing less dynamic websites, give NetSurf a try, it is quite a bit less hungry.