Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tried to make a bootable USB,does not boot
Hi everybody. unfortunately making a bootable Usb Stick from the Iso does not work. I used the Antix USBmaker. Any suggestions?
The dd method works, but before that the isohybrid needs to be used on the iso to make it bootable from a USB drive. This tool is not in the current alpha release, but I will make sure it is in the next one.

If you are working from dsl-2024.alpha you will need to do the following:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install syslinux-utils

That will install isohybrid for you. Then just run it on the iso:
isohybrid dsl-2024.alpha.iso

After that just follow the instructions on this site:
https://linuxiac.com/how-to-create-boota...d-command/

I'll probably make a script to make this process a little simpler in the future.
(02-02-2024, 07:20 PM)McTea Wrote: Hi everybody. unfortunately making a bootable Usb Stick from the Iso does not work. I used the Antix USBmaker. Any suggestions?
I've had a lot of problems making bootable USB drives and DSL did not boot with the LinuxMint  USB maker either. My go-to technique has been the "dd" method.  I've always dreamed of multi-distro Linux sticks (think pendrive Linux site) but YUMI has never worked for me.

I got DSL to boot using a new-to-me app called Ventoy (ventoy.net).  You plug the stick in, point Ventoy to install on the stick (/dev/sd"STICK"). It will format and set up the stick. Open the stick file window and drag/drop the .iso into the file, and it worked. Ventoy brags most DistroWatch distros will just work, so you might give it a go.

I could not find Ventoy in the repository for Linux Mint so am hoping you are not intimidated by using a shell to launch it. "you can open the terminal and just execute the file (e.g.  ./VentoyGUI.x86_64)"

Could not get the distro to boot in UEFI mode, only Legacy. My unit is an old HP 3-in-One with Win8.1 base. DSL booting in UEFI (HP recognizes the stick)

Ventoy could be the multiple-distro stick answer for me. In the README, they also coach making partitions "persistent". With DSL being so small, maybe a tutorial in the forum would help not only make a bootable stick but also add more, small distros with a persistent "home" partition.
(02-02-2024, 09:35 PM)John Wrote: The dd method works, but before that the isohybrid needs to be used on the iso to make it bootable from a USB drive.  This tool is not in the current alpha release, but I will make sure it is in the next one.

If you are working from dsl-2024.alpha you will need to do the following:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install syslinux-utils

That will install isohybrid for you.  Then just run it on the iso:
isohybrid dsl-2024.alpha.iso

After that just follow the instructions on this site:
https://linuxiac.com/how-to-create-boota...d-command/

I'll probably make a script to make this process a little simpler in the future.

thx,this worked for me
>thx,this worked for me

Glad to hear it! This will be one of the first things I address in the next release.
(02-03-2024, 05:05 PM)Pet3M0ss Wrote:
(02-02-2024, 07:20 PM)McTea Wrote: Hi everybody. unfortunately making a bootable Usb Stick from the Iso does not work. I used the Antix USBmaker. Any suggestions?
I've had a lot of problems making bootable USB drives and DSL did not boot with the LinuxMint  USB maker either. My go-to technique has been the "dd" method.  I've always dreamed of multi-distro Linux sticks (think pendrive Linux site) but YUMI has never worked for me.

I got DSL to boot using a new-to-me app called Ventoy (ventoy.net).  You plug the stick in, point Ventoy to install on the stick (/dev/sd"STICK"). It will format and set up the stick. Open the stick file window and drag/drop the .iso into the file, and it worked. Ventoy brags most DistroWatch distros will just work, so you might give it a go.

I could not find Ventoy in the repository for Linux Mint so am hoping you are not intimidated by using a shell to launch it. "you can open the terminal and just execute the file (e.g.  ./VentoyGUI.x86_64)"

Could not get the distro to boot in UEFI mode, only Legacy. My unit is an old HP 3-in-One with Win8.1 base. DSL booting in UEFI (HP recognizes the stick)

Ventoy could be the multiple-distro stick answer for me. In the README, they also coach making partitions "persistent". With DSL being so small, maybe a tutorial in the forum would help not only make a bootable stick but also add more, small distros with a persistent "home" partition.

I am glad that's an option that worked out for you .  I took out UEFI support because of the sure girth it required.  I figure there weren't much overlap between UEFI requirements and i386 compatibility.  Ventoy may be a nice solution for those who just want to play around with the ISO on modern hardware.
(02-03-2024, 05:05 PM)Pet3M0ss Wrote:

Thank you,next time i will give Ventoy a try. For the moment , i have a bootable stick with the administators way.